Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why I like Vancouver

So aside from the plethora of toned attractive women (who always seem to run away when I try to take a picture... or it could be because they are out jogging), the wonderful weather (pretend I'm writing this blog entry on Saturday when it was clear, sunny and +10), is a wonderful special place that I call Ben's happy land, but locals refer to as Granville Island. To get there from where I'm staying, we have a 5 minute walk down to the Yaletown docks, and then a 10 minute Aqua taxi ride to Granville. While we were waiting for the taxi, the buddy I'm staying with Mike and I decided to pose with Miss Ling a 100 foot china white thing of beauty:












I think we would look much better on deck, but alas the crew couldn't be convinced. Anyways back to Ben's happy land... first off I would encourage two of my friends who will be joining me next week to enjoy the Olympics to visit a particular store in Granville. I won't mention their names, but imagine in between the fresh produce you stumble across what appears to be a quaint bookstore and then upon closer examination of the titles:








But the best part of Granville, and Vancouver in general? The fresh food! I've been having fun cooking with so much wonderful fresh food... some hi-lights of the past week:

Roasted Vegetables in Phyllo Pastry

Pan fried 3 treasures in black bean sauce (it's shrimp paste stuffed into veggies and fried)

Jambalya w/ Jalopeno corn bread and hickory smoke ribs

French Toast done w/ Walnut Bread and fresh blueberry compote


I'm think fish tacos for tonight with a fresh pico de gallo... anyways that's why I like Vancouver :)

Oh a parting image of the food market on Granville Island each of the stalls are independant so nice to support local:

No comments:

Post a Comment