Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First Day

Anticlimatic...


I don't know why, but I had expected things to be hopping, that we would be in the thick of things. Rather it became an mental exercise of trying to stay alert in the face of blinding boredom. Of course this being my first shift, the second shift of my team leader and 3rd shift of the team supervisor may have contributed to the confusion and general lack of action.


As many of readers out there know I do a fair amount of volunteer work and have held a variety of roles from being a worker bee to manging teams of volunteers. So I think I have had enough experience to come up with what I call the Cardinal Sins of managing volunteers:


1) A volunteers time is precious, don't ever waste it

2) You don't always know the volunteer's background, always assume they are smarter than expected

3) Volunteers aren't paid, so even if they make errors you can't treat them like a regular employee
Anyways griping aside, I have decided to reserve judgement... just like anything else you will always have a spread of people with different motivations and different quality of people.
I appreciate comments, makes me feel like people are reading and actually care (fake it if you must!) so in response to reader demands (Tish...) a self portrait of me in my uniform... yes I used a mirror and am to lazy to flip the image back around so no my uniform is not printed backwards.


2 comments:

  1. on further inspection, I note the lovely toilet in the background. How appropriate Benny, how appropriate ;)

    ReplyDelete